Tuesday, December 8, 2015

VINTAGE MERRY CHRISTMAS CANVAS

Hello again my blogging friends!

I am a huge fan of vintage/retro Christmas pieces.  I would love to share with you a piece that I created especially for you that is now being featured on 
DecoArt's Mixed Media Blog.  


I recently came across the most beautiful image of Santa on his Christmas Eve visit.  It is actually the cover of a Christmas Ideals magazine from the year 1946.  Happily, that was long before I was born but I remember those magazines in our home every Christmas season.  

The art of the cover of this particular edition just mesmerized me and I wanted to recreate it onto a 5" x 7" canvas that would resemble an old vintage Christmas postcard.  But I had a problem in that I am not a great painter of people or animals.  

The way I've done this canvas, you combine some of your own painting with the addition of a paper copy of Santa and his reindeer from the original artwork.  So you don't have to be a fabulous painter to get fabulous results! With DecoArt's Media products, this project came together easily and it was a lot of fun!  I really do think my finished canvas looks like an old vintage postcard.  You could really make this a showy Christmas decor piece by adding a vintage type of frame or just leave it as is and make it part of a Christmas display.

You can view the entire project over at DecoArt's Mixed Media Blog and get the complete pictorial tutorial if you'd like to make this piece.  And I'll share the original art work with you here because you will need it for your project.  Just right click and save it to your computer.  Then you can size it to fit whatever piece you are creating.


Here you go ...

Merry Christmas Blessings to you and yours.






19 comments:

  1. You have taken a work of art, Candy, and created an even more interesting work of art from it! The colors, the dimension, the detail work that has gone into your canvas is just incredible. The planning that had to go into this project boggles my mind--this is a truly beautiful piece that I hope is handed down through generations, just as the original magazine cover has been through you. Thank you so much for sharing this for all to enjoy! Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and the tutorial on DecoArt's blog. Your comment means so much to me! Thank you!!!

      Delete
  2. Been over and boy you have done it again! Love your Christmas canvas, Candy! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna go check it out now, Candy. Another fabulous piece! And thanks for the image. Love the vintage stuff too. Of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Candy, I love how the vintage Santa is looking over the village, which sits beautifully against the night sky. This is so nostalgic, I love it x X X X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Candy this is beautiful love vintage Santa images and this one is fabulous. Love the colors which gives the image so much depth . Your work always amazes me .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya Candy, absolutely breathtaking my sweetness, Love your Vintage Santa and your canvas is fabulous hun. Love it xxx and love you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! LOVE the transformation. Gorgeous scene and color too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking beautiful already... off to see the rest!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those old Ideals books! Unlike you this cover came out just a couple of years before I was born! LOL What a nice idea to use it on a canvas!
    Hugs-
    Kavi Coulson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been over to see your masterpiece - it is simply beautiful Candy, the vintage Santa is so lovely! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Candy! Your painting skills are skyrocketing! I am so impressed by this gorgous canvas! I saw it on the DecoArt FB page and had to pop over and tell you how much I love it! You inspire me!!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy, this is just wonderful! What a great find that Ideal book was!! Back to DecoArt... hugs my creative friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your canvas! Thanks for the pic. I'm going to make this for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all your creativity and inspiration through the year, Candy! This Christmas canvas looks gorgeous. Love the Vintage Santa you've used.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family; may the New Year keep you safe, healthy, and creating more art so I can continually be inspired.

    Love and hugs to you my friend!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why you love the 1946 photo Candy. Have been over at DecoArt and your canvas looks BRILLIANT! Sending you my best wishes for a very Happy Christmas and may 2016 be a terrific year for you and yours. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just popped back to wish you and yours a peaceful and joyous festive season!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!