Monday, July 18, 2011

CRISS CROSS APPLESAUCE...HOW ABOUT LET'S EMBOSS?!

Happy Monday everybody!  Time for another Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!  This week, Simon Says .... "Show Some Embossing!"  Click on the link above to visit the challenge blog and see what wonderful creations the Design Team has for you this week.  Inspired as always!

This week, I decided to make something I've never made before.  I made a chunky ATC card.  There is some sort of embossing on each side; be it dry embossing or heat embossing.  Sometimes BOTH!
The ATC cards were cut from Tim Holtz' new ATC & Corners Die Cut.  The sides and top, I created on my own out of chipboard.  The sides are approximately 2 1/4" wide and the top and bottom measure 2 1/4" x 2 1/2".  I covered the top and bottom with a scrap of paper I had left from Graphic 45's Steampunk Debutante paper.  
The front of my chunky ATC card features a background I dry embossed using Tim Holtz' Pocket Watch and Steampunk Texture Fade on cream cardstock colored with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.  Then I lightly swiped a Distress Embossing Ink pad over the raised part of the embossed design and sprinkled Gold and Copper Embossing Powders on it.  I heat embossed the powders. Next, using Tim Holtz' Steampunk stamp set, I added the two gentlemen and the "Admit One" images to my embossed background.  I love metal and what is a steampunk piece without metal?  So, I added gears from 7 Gypsies Industrial Gears.  The two watch parts have images stamped and embedded with Glossy Accents to give them a protected "glass like" surface.  Then I wired them together and hung a piece of gold chain to finish off that side.
SPEAKING OF GLOSSY ACCENTS...TIM TOLD US A LITTLE TRICK AT RANGER U REGARDING HOW TO KEEP YOUR GLOSSY ACCENTS FROM CLOGGING UP AND IT REALLY WORKS!!!  AFTER YOU HAVE USED YOUR GLOSSY ACCENTS, GIVE THE BOTTLE A GOOD TAP ON YOUR WORK SURFACE AND THEN PUT THE CAP BACK ON IT.  JUST ONE GOOD TAP.  I HAVE DONE THAT EVER SINCE RANGER U AND RARELY HAVE A CLOG NOW!!!  
Moving to the side, I distressed a piece of cream cardstock with Dried Marigold Distress Ink.  I stamped a portion of text from Tim Holtz' Papillon stamp set.  I also double stamped and heat embossed two different butterflies using the Papillon set.  They are heat embossed using Distress Embossing Ink on black cardstock.  I then sprinkled several different colors from the wonderfully vivid Adirondak Embossing Powder family:  Stream, Butterscotch, Lettuce, Wild Plum and Red Pepper.  I stacked the butterflies and glued them at the bodies only so that the wings would appear to be fluttering.
The back side of the chunky ATC card features the dress form from Tim Holtz' Haberdashery stamp set.  It is stamped onto a piece of Sticky Back Canvas that has been colored using Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.  The ruler, from Tim Holtz' Curiosities stamp set, has been heat embossed using Black Embossing Powder.  The bottom of the dress form sports three little organza roses from Tim Holtz' Trimmings.  They are colored with Wild Honey Distress Stain.  There is also a stylish little flower "corsage" on the dress form's shoulder.  This was made using another of the organza roses combined with a metal flower and fastener from Tim Holtz' Foliage.  A copper Chain Tassel also hangs from the flower.  I added a little stitching using black wax thread and hung a metal Hanger Clip from Tim Holtz' Ideaology line on it.  Finally, I added a button with more black waxed thread and a tag with a heat embossed sentiment "BELIEVE IN YOURSELF" from Wendy Vecchi's Art Inspiration stamp set
The final side of the ATC card is dry embossed using Grungeboard and a portion of Tim Holtz' Patchwork Texture Fade.  I painted it using a Silver Paint Dabber.  That seals the Grungeboard and creates a perfect surface to add Alcohol Inks.  I combined Stream, Butterscotch and a bit of Ginger.  Then I highlighted the entire section by lightly rubbing Perfect Gold Perfect Pearls over the raised areas with my finger.  To embellish, I created my own "BEE CREATIVE" design on the computer and sized it to fit into a 7 Gypsies Antique Brass Optical Lens.  I put the design in place using Glossy Accents because it dries clear.  Then I added a piece of gold chain and a Tim Holtz Word Key.  
The top of my chunky ATC card is embellished with a copper clock face from Tim Holtz Timepieces.  I lightly smeared some Juniper paint from a Paint Dabber onto the clock face to give it a patina look.  Then I added a crystal knob to the top from Tim Holtz' Curio Knobs.  The piece stands on two wooden blocks that have been painted with black paint and smeared with Juniper paint for a shabby chic look.  Then I wrapped all of the edges with Sketchbook Tissue Tape that has been colored with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink.

Dry embossed, heat embossed....this little piece has both!  Now it's YOUR turn to SHOW SOME EMBOSSING!  Enter your piece in our challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show.  We have a randomly drawing each week for a lucky someone to win a
    
$50.00 credit voucher at Simon Says Stamp!  Great prize!!  But, that's not all!! If you are chosen by the Design Team to have one of the top three entries, you will be awarded our coveted TOP 3 BLINKIE to proudly display on your blog!

So, enter today and YOU could be our next winner!  Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog.  I hope you liked my chunky ATC card and may even be inspired to try one for yourself!  This was my first...but I'm sure it won't be my last!  They are way fun to make!

Have a wonderful week and remember...take time to PLAY!!  It's SOUL FOOD!!!

13 comments:

  1. Amazing work once again Candy...It lookes like a punked out robot man to me.....love him....looks like he has swallowed up Tim!! ha ha...Thanks for the Glossy tip....won't join you on this challenge as i am away and have no embossing powders...mmm maybe dry embossing will see.....keep well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again your example jumped out at me. what a corker it is!! Totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh COR BLIMEY!!! This is totally AMAZING Candy... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! You have nailed the 3d ATC and the elements and details on it are PERFECT!!!! TFS!!!! Lotsa love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you did some embossing here girl! Wow, what an amazing chunky! So many gorgeous details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thud!!! that was me fainting after drooling over this masterpeice!! WOW WOW WOW!! just love all the layers the embelishments.....gorgeous

    big hugs

    kazxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not tried a chunky ATC yet, I must try soon. Love yours, all the embossing and embellished beautifully. I love having lots to look at and yours is a feast for the eyes. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun piece of art! Grr--blogger won't let me comment as myself--grrr!
    opossumqueen1955atyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Candy, your art is fantastic! What a wonderful Blog you have! I am going to sign up to follow your gorgeous blog and will be back for frequent visits for inspiration! WOW! Best to you
    Hugs
    MARTINA

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome Candy! For the first time with a chunky ATC, this is spectacular! Great tip on the Glossy accents, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa Candy ... AMAZING,AWESOME,INSPIRATIONAL ... Candy YOU ROCK GIRL, week after week you deliver the most amazing art. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow Candy this is fabulous, you definitely rocked the challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing piece of art . So much to look it. I love it! I am going to try this. Thanks for the inspiration..Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am seeing some of your older pieces for the first time and I am blown away! You are one amazing artist!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy that you stopped by my blog! I truly appreciate your time and thank you for leaving a comment! Have a wonderfully blessed day!